How to care for pearls
Quality pearls are very durable and resilient but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Bear in mind that pearls are meant to be worn but at the same time they need delicate and require proper care to protect them for generations to come.
Here are some simple steps on how to care for pearls:
1. Put your pearls last and take them off first. Apply your lotion, make-up, perfume, hairspray etc before you put on any pearl jewelry. Pearls can absorb these chemicals and has an erosive effect on them.
2. Once you remove your pearl jewelries, clean them with a soft, damp cloth to remove oil and perspiration.
3. Pearls should be stored flat and separately from other pieces of jewelry to avoid getting them scratched by other items or tangled.
4. When traveling, wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or in a soft pouch.
5. Pearls are living organisms, so they need fresh air to breathe. Pearls are not suitable for long-term storage in plastic bags, safes or deposit boxes. Take them out of their storage space and wear at least once every season; otherwise, the luster of the pearls will quickly diminish.